Re: [OM] 17mm

Subject: Re: [OM] 17mm
From: Bernard Frangoulis <bcf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:10:16 +0100
Last week, I posted a most eloquent treatise regarding the several
Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses I own, including the 17/3.5.  Apparently,
a number of you were absent that day, and since there have been
some queries regarding some of these lenses about which I opined,
I now repeat, in relevant part, for the benefit of the absent or
absent-minded, my previously-posted, profoundly elucidating
expressions of sage opinion:

"17/3.5.  This is the newer version, the one without the built-in
filters.  Surprisingly good corner-to-corner.  Minimal distortion
and pretty good sharpness and color.  A real bargain, except it
takes 82mm filters, and only in the hood.  (No, that doesn't mean
you can't use it if you've away from your home territory.  It
means the filters fit in the clamp-on lens hood.  The lens itself
has no filter threads.)

Yep, thanks Walt. I had read this indeed, and although I was deeply enlightened by the profound wisdom of these considerations, there are a couple of tiny bits of knowledge that still elude me... :-)

If anyone has used both the Tamron and the Tokina, how do they compare?

How does the clamp-on hood of the newer version Tamron look like? Does it have "indents", or is it a "classical" hood?

I have one and like it quite a bit. Here's an image I printed last night that was taken with it:

http://home.attbi.com/~jackson.robert.r/tree_bookstore_sm.jpg

I know, it's a mediocre scan of a mediocre print of a mediocre photo, but don't blame the Tamron. ;-)

Nice shot!

Bernard