Re: [OM] What is the deal with 50mm 1.4 high serial numbers?

Subject: Re: [OM] What is the deal with 50mm 1.4 high serial numbers?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:18:03 -0500
Devon,
Much detail is in the archives about this. I have three black nose 50/1.4 lenses, each of which is in a different serial number range. IMO, the most important break point is whether its serial number is over or under 1,000,000. Among the black noses there was a clear reformulation that can be seen in the lens coatings. Under 1M S/N has only some of the elements multi-coated. Over 1M S/N has all the elements multi-coated.

As to the break point at S/N 1.1M, IMO it's only the objective ring markings that changed with Olympus dropping the "MC" mark. From a glass examination and performance standpoint I cannot tell the difference between one with S/N > 1M and another with S/N > 1.1M. If it weren't for the marking and S/N differences, I wouldn't be able to distinguish between them.

There is a noticeable difference between these two and a third with S/N < 900k in the appearance of the glass, and a very minor difference in performance. All three lenses are in similar EX++ condition with perfect glass and aperture mechanisms. There is very minor, cosemetic paint wear showing in a few spots on the aperture ring knurling high points. IOW, they haven't been dropped, bashed or otherwise subjected to harsh environs and/or high g-forces.

A few other list members may differ in opine about S/N > 1M versus S/N > 1.1M. IMHO, in practical use making large prints from extremely fine grain films (e.g. 11x16" Ilfochromes from K-64 and RDPIII trannies) it doesn't matter. What does matter is lens condition, and what matters even more is how you use it.

-- John