Re: [OM] Sunpak 120 J TTL or other bare bulb flash opinions....

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunpak 120 J TTL or other bare bulb flash opinions....
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 19:02:55 -0500

I like the bare bulb approach for it's ability to diffuse the direction of the light, etc.

Additional thoughts:
(1) Bare bulb in a large bowl reflector is the closest you can get to the "look" created by flashbulbs. Without light modifiers, it's still bright, direct flash, but the bowl reflector gives it a larger source area which knocks the edge off it some. It can be subtle, but there is a difference between flash from flashbulbs fired in bowl reflectors, and a traditional electronic with the small tube and reflector.

(2) Remember that the benefits of bounce requires that there be something reasonably close to bounce the light back. Churches, cathedrals and synogogues tend to be cavernous places and not that much light bounces back. Same applies to most reception halls I've been in.

-- John