Re: [OM] Slightly OT, Leica question

Subject: Re: [OM] Slightly OT, Leica question
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:46:52 -0500
Albert,

No, there isn't a universal site like the eSIF on Leica lenses.

There is a good technical paper by Erwin Puts at
http://www.leica-camera.com/imperia/md/content/pdf/msystem/49.pdf.  There's
also a current M-System brochure there too.

The best, reasonable book is the Identifying Leica Lenses: The Complete Pocket
Guide to Buying and Selling Leica Lenses Like an Expert  by Ghester Sartorius.
Available for around $20.  He also did a nice book on bodies for the same
price.  These are the best quick references that I know with pictures, rarity
guides, and comments.

Stephen Gandy at CameraQuest has some good user-guides to selecting Leica
lenses.

There are a lot of miscellaneous sites with bits and pieces too.  Do searches
on Google.  The problem is that the Leica system has gotten so large and
convoluted over the years that people who do the research are loathe to throw
it on the web.  They want books, which sell.  And the research has pretty much
all been done by a whole slew of authors and historians.

If you have specific questions, I'd welcome an offlist email to the address
below.  But the Sartorius book is gold for someone learning what's what.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost