[OM] 17, 18, 21 mm lens tests

Subject: [OM] 17, 18, 21 mm lens tests
From: "Lars Bundesen" <lars.bundesen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 23:41:43 +0100
Hi,

I looked through my collection of lens tests and can give you this
information:

The German " Fotomagazin" rates the Tamron SP 17 mm/3,5 at 8,8 points out of
10 (performance) and the Tokina SL 17 mm/3,5 at 9,4 points. Tested in '91
and '90. I have no details from the tests, but is seems that the Tokina is
slightly better - both have very good ratings, though.

In a test of 18, 19, 20 and 21 mm lenses in the German Colorfoto in '89, the
Zuiko 18 mm was the winner among the 18 mm lenses, beating Contax Zeiss,
Rollei Zeiss and Nikon lenses.
They noted Olympus' high performance, also in the corners, already at full
aperture.

The Zuiko 21/2 fared less well, showing a lower score on sharpness and
contrast in the corners, both open and stopped down.
So if you don't need the speed, the 18 mm seems preferable to the 21 mm/2.
(The 21/3,5 was not tested).
The 18 mm is quite expensive, too, though.

Lars