Re: [OM] Expensive camera, cheap film???

Subject: Re: [OM] Expensive camera, cheap film???
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:09:59 +0800
Hehehe... I take so many pictures that I'm developing almost daily... Was sitting at one of my favorite hangout spots, one of the 2nd hand camera stores. Photos started getting passed around... "Wow.. This is a great photo.. Must be a Leica" yet more Leica comments.. It turns out, the picture was taken with a P&S! I started to laugh, any picture they think is sharp, "must be a Leica".

As far as the ultra ultra ultra super duper 28-300mm zoom. That was a question that was brought up today by one of the streetwalkers. "The commercial says that the 28-300mm is like 7 lenses in 1!! And that it is just as good as any of those 7... is that true??" Ouch.. 28-300mm = 7 prime lenses in performance, man, the marketing guys obviously don't take pictures..

Had another guy walk into the store, complained that his camera takes "fuzzy" pictures. Unmounted the lens, and found coating rot... so we thought. Upon closer examination, a made in Russia C*non knockoff lens that said Conon (not Canon) fooled me the first time! 100% PLASTIC LENSES... WOW... We were like, this isn't lens rot, it's PLASTIC MELT... The look on his face was priceless... "No wonder the lens was so cheap.." he muttered..

He spent what on a new super duper wunderbrick, and bought a 3rd party russian who knows what from who knows where?

Penny wise, Federal budget sized foolish..

Albert

Albert,
They're obviously taking heed to at least some of my tips here:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/tips.html

If they'd dump the Leitz primes and go for the cheapest, mondo, third-party 10X cyclops zoom lenses, all would be right in the world.

More seriously, it's called the "neck jewelry" of a "conspicuous consumer." Casual observers around them cannot tell what film is being used; it's hidden inside the camera, but the Leica logo on the camera body leaps out as a bright red flashing neon sign.

-- John