Re: [OM] XA Problem - Advise Please

Subject: Re: [OM] XA Problem - Advise Please
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:34:52 -0600
When the shutter fires with the front cover (barrier) closed, does the shutter
stay open a while or does it close relatively quickly?

If it closes rather quickly I would suspect the switch that tells the camera
that the back cover is open isn't working properly -- that's located under the
top cover, on the top of the mechanism plate with the thumbwheel.  Could be
dust/rust/debris/whatever is keeping the switch from making contact or
operating at all.  This mechanism is related to the film counter, too -- is
there any problem with the film counter?  That may also be a clue.

If the shutter stays open a while, the problem will be in the barrier's switch
-- it's not closing when the barrier is closed.  It's linked to the mechanism
that opens and closes the cover over the rangefinder window -- when you open
and close the barrier, does a black plate move back and forth over the small
rangefinder window?  If not, it may be gummed-up with sticky-stuff (dried soft
drink, etc.).  Once again, the most likely solution will require removal of the
top cover and cleaning.

If the cover over the rangefinder moves OK it's probably in the switch itself.
Part of the arm is visible through the front of the shutter mechanism plate,
but the switch itself is behind the plate and below the rangefinder.  If that's
the problem it will need the attention of someone who knows XA's for repair.

<snip>