[OM] long roll processing

Subject: [OM] long roll processing
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 18:37:52 -0600
"he reckons he can get the minilab to take 10m continuous film..."

I would be VERY careful how my long rolls are processed. A minilab will use
a roller transport machine. Even if they can load a long roll (unusual), I
wouldn't want a piece of film nearly 100' long in one of those things.
(Well, I wouldn't want good film in one of those things under any
circumstances, but that's another story.) They work be pushing and pulling
the strip of film through the chemistry with fabric covered rollers. If, for
any reason, one tank pushes or pulls a little different, there will be a jam
like you've never seen.

What you want is someone who uses a cine processor. These are made for long
rolls, which in the case of movie film, could be over 400 feet continous.
This is what the really big volume processors use, as it's the quickest,
safest way to process a lot of film. This is what Jan is refering to when he
talks about stapling film together. They actually use stainless staples to
connect the rolls.

The film is under constant tension. If there is a jam, it is dramatic, but a
good lab keeps their equipment well maintained. If they're doing that big a
volume, they will probably consider good staff and maintenance money well
spent, at least until the Kodak accountants get into the books.

I would look for a volume pro lab that specializes in student photos and
protraits in places like Kmart. Most of that work was on 70mm until a few
years ago, so they are well prepared. Generally, these machines have stepped
rollers, so it's likely that if they can do 70mm, they can also do 35.

You might also check out a big lab like A&I. I suspect that, in avy event,
you will be limited to C41. Someone like A&I may use cine machines for E6,
but I suspect not many do.

Bill Pearce