Re: [OM] Dreaded meter needle dance

Subject: Re: [OM] Dreaded meter needle dance
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:14:52 -0600
If it's an original OM-2, esp. an early model (low serial #, i.e. six digits or
so), and the needle is jumping up and down just sitting there, chances are the
meter switch itself is the culprit.  You may also note that the meter jumps
especially as you move the mode switch, and the battery check light flutters
when in the check position even with good batteries.  If this is the case, the
"fingers" of the meter switch need to be removed, cleaned, and the pad coated
with grease -- easy fix, just be careful you don't break the tabs on the fingers
when you put the top back on (else you'll need to harvest a replacement off
another body).  Oh, yes, the battery check will still flutter on these early
versions -- the battery check switch is separate from the meter's switch, and
the devil to get to for cleaning, so we don't!

If the needle "dances" especially as you operate the coupling ring, it could be
the wire to the meter has "parted" inside the insulation.  More difficult to fix
-- the meter has to be lifted, removed from it's housing, and the wire cut and
reattached.

Another unlikely problem is if the center post that holds the contact spring in
the battery chamber has broken free.  Rare, but it's happened.  Also possible
would be a pinched wire, but I doubt it.

If the camera's been sitting unused for a long time it will probably need an
overhaul anyway.  Periodic operation (at least with the OM-2) tends to keep the
switch contacts clean, and tarnished switch contacts is the #1 cause for
intermittant/erratic "lock-up".

If the meter only moves when you hit it with a hammer -- it's broken, quit
hitting your cameras with hammers!