Re: [OM] [OT] Re: Airport X-ray - now way OT

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Re: Airport X-ray - now way OT
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:35:26 -0800
I spent the month of May in '98 running around Australia. We were in Hobart/Launceston, Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney, Newcastle, Brisbane/Surfer's Paradise, Adelaide and Perth. Years of watching American TV, Mad Max and Crocodile Dundee movies had me ready for some kind of third world adventure, but now I kind of wonder how many Australians have even seen the interior. We saw some colorful stuff on our way to Perth, but the east coast of Australia is a lot like the west coast of America, IMO. I can't count how many times I felt like I was looking at Sausalito or San Diego. Even Tasmania could have been a bunch of little towns in the Sierra Nevadas. I can't say that I ever saw anyone drinking a Foster's, though I did pick up an affinity for Crown Lager and learned to at least not refuse a VB when someone's buying a round (though VB wasn't nearly as tasty as Crown Lager to my palette). The bottom line for me was that there's probably as much diversity in Australia as there is in the United States. Crossing either nation from coast to coast can be an eye-opening experience and our large urban centers pretty much offer the same kinds of comforts and recreation both there and here. Now New Zealand...there's a peculiar place. ;-)

-Rob