[OM] What fraction of US homes have computers?

Subject: [OM] What fraction of US homes have computers?
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 22:13:10 -0500
At 6:53 PM -0500 12/22/02, Joe Gwinn wrote:
>(From [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (LONG)]):
>
>Only about 250f homes in the US contains any kind of computer, PC or Mac,
>while something like 950f homes have at least one camera.  So, the
>infrastructure for digital is *not* in place for 750f the population.  For
>them, film cameras are by far the better choice, as they don't need to buy or
>deal with a computer.

I just read the March 2003 issue of PC World.  On page 121 there is an
interesting chart that claims that in 2002, 600f US households had at least one
PC.  The curve leveled off  in 2000, so growth beyond ~60% will be very slow,
the mark of a mature market.  The 25% mark was achieved in 1991.  I recall that
number being quoted more recently, but I would bet that PC World is correct and
the other sources are not correct.

So, we are still left with 40% with no computer, and happy about it.

Joe Gwinn