Re: [OM] [OT] Re: Airport X-ray - now way OT

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Re: Airport X-ray - now way OT
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:00:49 -0800

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 01:19  PM, Brian Swale wrote:

It is always interesting to get the impressions of ones' country given by a visitor who sees the place and the behaviour of the people, with new eyes
unaccustomed (conditioned) by experience.

For the benefit of those who might arrive by air, may I assure them that our airports do indeed have air traffic controllers, but in some wind conditions at some airports, the landing process is a highly skilled process involving the real pilots in the cockpit who may well decide to abort that particular landing run and go around for another try. Wellington is not known locally as "Windy
City" for no reason :-)

The pilot told me in the airport bar that there were no air traffic controllers at the time. This was in '98, maybe they were on strike? As I recall, it had something to do with privatization. This was during the same period of time that Auckland was dark. When we were there the company I was with had to bring generators to handle the power draw of the concert staging they were using. All in all, it was one of those really memorable trips where a lot seems to malfunction, but it all seems to add to the atmosphere of the journey.

Beautiful country, though. I think if I were going to relocate to any place on the planet it would be Wellington. What a lovely city. Everything you'd expect in a metropolitan city and with wide open beauty all around it. A little slice of heaven, IMO.

-Rob