Re: [OM] Re: Spot-metering madness

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Spot-metering madness
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:42:10 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

I just tried to reproduce it without all the lenses. I put my 35-80 on my OM-4T and pointed it at a blank part of the garage wall in open shade. Center weighted average meter reading, spot at 35mm end of zoom and spot reading at the 80mm end of the zoom are all the same. I don't get bizarre exposures with my pictures(that I can blame on the camera) and I use 'chromes' almost exclusively and the spot meter a lot. I don't think there is anything generically wrong with the OM4/T/Ti spot meter.

Obviously not, or it would be a well known problem long before now.

I am not sure how the meter knows what the F-stop of the lens that is attached. Could it be some linkage variability in 30 year old lenses that have never been CLAd?

I thought about that, but both metering systems get the same info from the same place, so a worn or bent linkage could indeed give erroneous readings, but would be the same for both forms of metering.

Moose