Re: [OM] Eyecup

Subject: Re: [OM] Eyecup
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 16:10:44 -0500
Yes and no, Boris.

Yes, Olympus sold Eyecup1 and Eyecup2.  In the e-SIF, the summary says this
about the round EyeCup1: "The Eyecup 1 prevents glare and loss of contrast
caused by stray light hitting the viewfinder eyepiece and accepts any of the
eight Dioptric Correction Lenses 1."  It was probably intended to "fix" the
OM-1 & OM-2 meters' drawback.  Without an eyecup, they read light coming in
through the eyepiece as if it should be metered, resulting in underexposure
if you matched the needle.  (This does not affect Auto mode in the 2 but it
does affect metering in Manual.)

It says this about the rectangular EyeCup2: "The Eyecup 2 prevents
scratching the photographer's glasses.  The Dioptric Correction Lenses 2 are
available for adjustment of individual eye acuity."  What they're not saying
is that the rectangular eyecup, while it allows you to open the back without
dismounting the cup, doesn't quite seal up the light entering the eyepiece
as well as the 1.

So, yes there are eyecups that fit the single-digit bodies.  But no, they
won't let your eye get a clear view from further away.  In fact, since the
eyecup forces your skull further from the body, I find I have to mash my
face into the eyecup.  From carefully reading your words, I think what you
seek is what's called "eye relief".  That's the ability to hover a small
distance behind the eyepiece and still see everything.  As you noted,
inserting a dioptric won't do that.  I don't know of any lenses available
that could be inserted.  I suspect that the magnification of pentaprism and
the rest of the viewing optics are the culprit and that it's not just a
matter of  grinding a single reducing lens to give us some "eye relief", pun
intended.

In the Nikon world, they built a removable finder  to do this.  I think it's
on a body called the F3HP.

Lama

BTW, one of the reasons we have bright viewfinders is because there's a
solid-glass pentaprism above the mirror instead of a combination of mirrors
(and more glass-air transitions) that the newer budget-conscious SLRs use.

> The only thing I ever complained about my OM's is the viewfinder.  It is
too close to my eyes and this is why I would like ask you if there is an
eyecup that could correct this problem, because from what I read I am not
sure if there is one. <edited>

> I know that there is one that brings the viewfinder closer so you can see
more detail, but have not heard about one that would put it at a distance.