Re: [OM] Tripod mount ring for 180/2.8?

Subject: Re: [OM] Tripod mount ring for 180/2.8?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 17:56:33 -0600
At 02:53 PM 2/15/2003 -0800, you wrote:
On Saturday, February 15, 2003, at 02:31  PM, Bernard Frangoulis wrote:
The 180/2.8, when mounted on a teleconverter, makes a rather long and heavy lens - I would hesitate to put the camera on a tripod, I'm not certain the lens-teleconverter or teleconverter-camera junction would not break.

Is there a solution to this problem? The 180/2.8 has no tripod ring. Are there tripod rings that could be mounted on it? In addition I don't see much space on the lens where such a ring could fit...

Bogen/Manfrotto makes a telephoto cradle device for the top of your tripod and works fine for long lenses without ring mounts.

Winsor Crosby

The telephoto lens support (3420) works very well with the 180/2.8 and 2X-A doubler, especially because the lens focuses internally. It's not quite so good with a 200/4 because it doesn't focus internally.

Unfortunately, the tripod mounting ring that comes stock with the 85-250 and 300/4.5 has slightly too large a diameter for the 2X-A. Somebody once suggested getting an innertube and stretching it around the 2X-A to increase its diameter. That might just make it of a sufficient diameter to hold the tripod mounting ring in place, but I've never tried it.

Joel W.