Re: [OM] Tamron 28-80 F3.5/4.2 Adaptall-2 Model 27A Lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 28-80 F3.5/4.2 Adaptall-2 Model 27A Lens
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:10:21 +0100
>Is the above lens a good one? Anyone who is familiar with it?

Hi, Titoy and all.

I had this lens about a year ago, and returned it after 5 days...

If you are concerned about wide-open performance, I'm afraid you won't like
it. However, now I've got a Tamron SP 28-135 F4-4.5 (Model 28A), which
seems much sharper, but it's noticeably heavier and gives a somewhat 'warm'
tone to the pics.

I posted my impressions about this lens a while ago. This is what I said:

>*At 28mm seems acceptable when wide-open, and at f/5.6 is _very_ sharp.
>*In the 35-50 mm range is OK when stopped down, but wide-open is rather soft.
>*At 80mm, wide open is awful -- very soft with _extremely low_ contrast.
>Stopped down to f/8, contrast is OK, but corners are still fuzzy. In fact,
>my SP 70-210/3.5 at 80mm and f/3.5 is _way better_ than the 28-80 @ f/8!!!
>
>Talking about flare control, also very poor. However, mine came without
>the original hood, and I've heard this lens improves dramatically with it.
>
>At least, that were the results of my particular sample. However, your
>mileage may vary -- I'm very critical about wide-open performance.

Hope this helps,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>