Re: [OM] Re: [OT]was Parisian arrogance, high-speed films.....

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OT]was Parisian arrogance, high-speed films.....
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 20:47:57 -0800
At least some of those beautiful glorietas are gone. In order to keep the city from coming to a complete halt, they took a number of wide streets both East-West and North-South and made a grid of one-way throughfares called 'Ejes' where vast hordes of cars 5-6 lanes wide thunder forward. When I first stayed there, Av. Coyoacan was a peaceful street with a center divide planted with palms, trolly tracks on each side and then 2 lanes a side for cars on the outside. A number of years ago, I drove down the little street where we stayed and started to turn left onto Coyoacan, only to see 6 lnes or so of vehicles thundering toward me. With a shriek, I converted to a fast right turn and fled down the next side street. Quite unnerving. Later I found that the lovely big glorieta with the tall column with a gold statue on top on Coyoacan nearer downtown was simply gone without a trace. I used to really like Mexico City, but it lost its charm and livability and I haven't been in years.

Moose

Mike wrote:

Moose wrote:

..Mexico City 25+ years ago was the most exciting city I've driven in...

I went to Mexico for the first time at about that same time frame. ( by my
reckoning this would be about the year 5 b.OM. :>) for me anyway so
no OM content) We took my friend Greg's Ford Pinto which is a story in itself.
Anyway as some of you probably know Mexico City has these
suicidal traffic features called glorietas. They consist of a small park with a
statue in the center surrounded by concentric rings of traffic
lanes. 4 major avenidas plus a few calles all dump into this ring round which
the cars go at breakneck speed and then go shooting off in
different directions. Doesn't take but a couple of circuits for the gringo
tourists to become totally disoriented. Took us a while to get up
the courage to just get out of the damn thing. We parked the car and took
public transit for most of our stay. The park at the center of the
glorieta is a great place to pass the time and enjoy the crashes if you can get
out there.