[OM] Re: Flash sync & slavery (barely OM)

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash sync & slavery (barely OM)
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 14:01:29 -0800
Nearly all digital cameras fire a pre-flash that is not associated with red-eye
reduction. It is used to set white balance and exposure. You may be able to
turn it off by shooting in full manual mode, but probably not. If there is a
hot-shoe, you may be able to slap a low-powered manual flash on there to
trigger the slave.

There are expensive slaves that will count and discard pre-flashes, and I've
seen circuits of simple R-C delay filters to go between your slave and your
pack. (Of course that doesn't help if you are using something with a built-in
slave.

The quick answer is, "You're screwed." In general, digicam flashes don't work
with slaves.

(That's one reason I went with the E-20 -- it has a real PC terminal and a real
hot-shoe.)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>