Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 storage/carry solutions - Timbuk2?

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200 storage/carry solutions - Timbuk2?
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:35:07 +0100
I also thought of buying the Trekker, as it has the advantage that one can
swing the beltpack Orion part in front , whilst keeping the backpack part
on one's back. As I already have an Off-Road beltpack, which has good
capacity, I bought the backpack part of the Trekker cheap on *Bay recently.
I am looking forward to trying it out when the pack arrives.
I fortunately have lighter beltpacks for running, skiing, and cycling!

Roger Key

Benson wrote:

I've tried half a dozen alternatives - hard cases, soft cases, hip cases,
etc.etc.. I finally settled on a Lowepro Orion Trekker. I added a
couple of velcro straps to one side to carry a Gitzo. It goes around
the world with me, and I could not be happier with it. It's very well
built, has lots of adjustable options, and also has room for your other
around town or airport gear. It is very well padded, and nicely
designed. Furthermore, it looks just like a regular backpack, so it
doesn't get any special attention, and comes in a nice inconspicuous
black. If you wanted, you could put a huge tele lens in the upper
compartment.
Benson

>Mike Darling wrote:

>Ok, I gather a bunch of you have this lens so I'm hoping someone
>can give me some suggestions on what to carry mine around in.
>I've found that it's just a little too tall for my Domke J-3 when a body
>is mounted.  Though I love this bag, it's just a little too much for me
>to lug back and forth on my daily commute (45mi by train each way).

>Ideally I'd like to be able to: * carry the lens with a body/winder
>mounted and the lens hood reversed * have space for another body
>and a couple small prime lenses (35 & 50) * be semi-weatherproof,
>since I usually end up walking around the city

>The Tamrac 465 looks like what I want, but I'm not sure it will be big
>(tall) enough.  I'd like something that will hang close to the body and
>not be too obtrusive.  Something that doesn't scream "steal me!">
>would be nice (but I'm only 22 so don't tell me to get a diaper
bag!).> Short of making some inserts for an old army surplus bag I