[OM] Re: Nikon Digital Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon Digital Lens
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:08:31 -0800
>From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Strategy multiple choice question:
>
>3. Nikon's just trying to sell more lenses by introducing something "new and
>digitally focused" that's lighter than their current offerings.

Call me cynical, but my experience with Nikon and backward compatibility has
been dismal. I'd caution anyone against getting these new lenses, based upon
some assumption about the future.

Then the Nikon LS-2000 film scanner came out, I was enamored of the "system"
aspect. So I bought the over-priced and under-performing bulk slide scanner,
foolishly assuming I'd be able to move it to a new Nikon scanner when it came
out.

Imagine my dismay when the new LS-4000 came out in the same form factor, with a
physically similar plug-in, but it required ITS OWN version of the bulk slide
scanner! $595 down the tube!

It will be a LONG TIME before I purchase another Nikon product of any kind.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>