[OM] Manfrotto Mag head - was 180/2.8

Subject: [OM] Manfrotto Mag head - was 180/2.8
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeffreyrkeller@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:22:50 -0800
The Manfrotto/Bogen 3437 (190?) is a VERY nice head but it is only rated
at 3kg. I found that a Tamron 400mm f4 vibrated too much so I ended up
"giving it away" and replacing it with the heavier but cheaper 3030
(141RC). I suspect a 180mm f2.8 with 2x teleconverter would be usable on
it but would take some very careful handholding to damp out the
vibrations.

When I'm reluctant to carry a tripod I carry a small Gitzo 1026 with a
Bogen ball head. It is adequately stable but too short to look over
fences. My experience is that the size is often more the reason I don't
take a tripod than the weight. If I go somewhere that I won't be going
to again very soon, I take and carry a tripod ... for certain!

I would bet if you had an easy way to carry the 3001 you wouldn't
hesitate to take it with you. I haven't found a good way to carry a
tripod. I normally carry the little Gitzo mostly collapsed with a camera
mounted on it in one hand. The 3001(recently replaced with a slightly
larger Gitzo), I normally carried fully extended over my shoulder (also
with the camera mounted on it). It seems to me hanging a partially/fully
extended tripod from one shoulder with a quick release strap and using
the corresponding hand to keep it from swinging would be the best. The
biggest part of the problem is that if the camera is below shoulder
level I want it in front of me where I can see it. I haven't tried
creating a strap to accomplish this.

Good luck with your trip!
-jeff

Another question is... should I bring the tripod (Manfrotto 190 with
small
magnesium head)? Hauling it around in India will be a pain... Maybe I
can