Re: [OM] Taking the top off

Subject: Re: [OM] Taking the top off
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:01:28 -0800
The shiny black piece with the 2 holes in it on top of the wind lever is just a thin peice of soft aluminum glued on the real nut. If they happed to be aligned with the holes below in the actual nut that holds the lever on, you can take both off at once with a spanner with fine pins, snap-ring pliers with fine tips, etc. Otherwise, it's exceedingly difficult to get off the trim plate using its holes without scratching it. Others have suggested using a small rubber stopper pressed firmly against it and turned to break the glue bond. Once the trim piece is off, the rest is obvious.

You also need to remove the nut/bezel that hold the flash shoe connector. Again, an appropriate spanner wrench is easiest, but it usually isn't on all that tight and careful work with a small screwdriver, needlenose pliers or ohter makeshift tool will usually suffice. That's how I did it before buying the proper tools on the 'Bay from Beljan Mfg.

With rewind, wind lever and flash shoe connector disconnected, the top just lifts off. The only thing loose that will fall out is the back latch spring. It simply sits on a dimple in the tab from the unlatch mech, and presses against the top. While you are in there, be sure to clean any foam away from touching the prism.

Moose

Tom Scales wrote:

Well, I am making progress. I believe I see how to fix the latch, but need
to get the top off.  I have the rewind side done --- I remembered how to
unscrew the know, etc.

How do I get the wind side off?  I know the ASA knob stays on the top.