[OM] Sunpak 821 Dedicated flash

Subject: [OM] Sunpak 821 Dedicated flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:45:35 -0500
Hi, Tom. Maybe John Lind will pop in on this one. He seems to know all of the the Sunpak and Metz flashes. I don't know anything about the 821 but if it truly says "dedicated" then it must go TTL somehow. If it was purely manual and auto it would only need one contact and wouldn't need to be "dedicated" to any hotshoe form factor.

You also asked about some lenses:
As to the Vivitar Series 1, I've never read a bad report about Series 1 lenses other than they're heavy since they're always fast. Kiron made a lot of them but other manufacturers made some also.

The Samyang 500 f/8 is probably the same as the Phoenix since Samyang is imported by Phoenix. Some of the lenses are even branded as Samyang/Phoenix. A new 500mm f/8 Phoenix can be had for $98.94 from:
<http://www.ugonet.com/ugonet/photographic-35mm-lenses-phoenix-olympus.html>
Samyang makes pretty good stuff for the price but it won't equal the Zuiko. Gary Reese's tests indicate that the Zuiko has "moderately high contrast". Good contrast is typically a problem for a mirror lens.

Chuck Norcutt

I need the help of some Sunpak experts. I just received a nice kit and it includes this flash. I just am trying to figure out the features with an OM body. It has two auto modes and a manual mode, but doesn't have an obvious way to put it in TTL mode. Will it even do TTL control? Does it just go on manual.

It has three connectors on the feet.

Thanks in advance for help.

Tom