Re: [OM] Unfamiliar brand on the bay - is this another cheapo?

Subject: Re: [OM] Unfamiliar brand on the bay - is this another cheapo?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:15:25 -0800
I figured somebody would say something like this, and I know you aren't the only one who feels this way. The problem when making brief general comments about Zuikos is that some of the early 50mm lenses just aren't sharp anywhere near wide open. I don't think they are any worse than lenses from other manufacturers from the same era. That's why the 55/3.5 Micro-Nikkor was my standard lens in the pre Oly days. My very early 50/1.8 that I bought new with my first OM-1 is quite soft above about f5.6-8. The even earlier 1.4 I have was part of a group purchase and I've never tried it, but look at Gary's test of a SC 50/1.4, it's worse than the latest version with a bad filter!. I think these lenses got better before the more obvious change to MC, but how to tell which is which?

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy a SC 50mm without a serial number pretty close to the changeover to MC except as an experiment.

Moose

Tom Scales wrote:

The only thing I would challenge is the early 50/1.4.  I know the latest 50/1.4
is the best, for most things, but there is a warmth to the early lens
that I like.  Just pleasing to me.  Sort of a Silvernose feel :)