Re: [OM] Sunpak 821 Dedicated flash

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunpak 821 Dedicated flash
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 00:14:21 -0800
on 2/22/03 5:10 PM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> OK, let's see.
>
> - Go to OM shelf to find TTL compatible body.
> - Pick up OM-4T. Film in it. Put it back.
> - Grab next body. OM-1. Put it back.
> - Next body. OM-2. No flash ready light. Put it back
> - OM-4, sold, so don't want to use it.
> - OM-2S. In the box. Too lazy to unpack.
> - Another OM-1.
> - OM-1n. Useful, but doesn't accomplish anything.
> - OK, found OM-2n. No Shoe.
> - Find small parts box. Look for Shoe 4. Found Shoe 1. Found Shoe 3. Found
> another Shoe 1.
> - OK, Found Shoe 4. Put on OM-2n.
> - No batteries in flash.
> - Put NiMh in flash.
> - Nothing.
> - Open battery compartment.  One corroded contact. Liberal use of eraser.
> - Try NiMh again. Nothing.
> - Go find box of batteries. Root around for 4 AA batteries. Find AAA. Find
> AAA again. Lots of AAA.
> - Found AA. Take back to office. Open package and put in flash. Nothing.
> - More eraser. Lots of eraser. Check other end. A little more corrosion.
> - Put batteries back in. Nothing. Suspect bad new pack. Try NiMh. Nothing.
> - Go look for emery board. Not in the first drawer, or second, or third.
> - Fourth drawer. Found emery board.
> - Put batteries back in. Nothing. Emery, emery, emery.
> - Batteries back in. Power! Yeah.
> - Put flash on body.  Ready light in viewfinder on. Turn on body and shoot.
> - Ready light doesn't flash. OK, may not have that feature.
> - Seems like a full dump, but recycles fast. Does that tell us anything? No.
> - Try auto mode. Seems to put out less light, but who knows.
>
> In the end, did I learn anything.  Probably not.
>
> Tom

Tom -- A Q-tip with white vinegar will cut through corrosion pretty well if
its from leaky alkaline batterys. Chemical opposites, it will leave the
metal contacts nice and shiny. Then rinse with water if you can remove the
piece from the electronic bits, or just sop up the vinegar well with a
water-dampened Q-tip. Only downside is the flash will smell like vinegar for
a while.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...