Re: [OM] Camera Frinzy!!

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Frinzy!!
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:06:11 -0800

At 11:25 PM 2/23/2003 +0800, you wrote:
Why do people (MEN!!) feel the need to compare (and laugh) at other people's cameras? I don't understand that, especially the fact that I shot 6 rolls today, and most only shot 6 shots... Does this just happen to me, or is this common??

Albert

It doesn't happen among serious photographers. It happens among men who think with their glands.

Joel W.

That's a simple (and inadequate) response in all respects.

I won't go into all the socioreasons why people might behave thusly--there are too many to list conveniently in a venue of this kind, and besides, I'm not at all sure I understand the implied mechanics. I can tell you with certainty, however, that "serious" photographers are pretty much like everyone else when it comes to how they act out their lives. And precisely what is a serious photographer by your definition? A person who shoots film for fun or profit and who doesn't have an entrenched point of view regarding equipment, or if he does harbor such opinion keeps it strictly to himself in public at all costs due to political sensitivity? If so, I doubt you've met many of that (rather limited) sort on this list. Indeed, given my experience with artistic types over the years I'd argue that the opposite case would more likely hold in the real world.

Anyway, having said that here's another simple (and inadequate) response to the original question: the world has no shortage of fools; ignore these people if you can and move on with what you're about.

Tris