[OM] Hayward Camera Show and MOMA

Subject: [OM] Hayward Camera Show and MOMA
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:30:11 -0800
I dropped by the show this morning. Pretty small. I picked up a 49mm Olympus Skylight filter from the filter guy, but that was about it for my Oly purchasing. I grabbed a really clean Gralab 300 for $50.

After the show I had a meeting with my photo class at the Museum of Modern Art. We toured the Andreas Gursky and August Sander exhibits. Man, those huge freakin' Gursky prints were something. They all said, "chromogenic process color print" on their information cards. I know this is kind of off-topic, but does anyone know exactly what that means? Or is that just what color prints are? I really wonder what Gursky uses for equipment. Some of those photos are enormous and contain detail that's overwhelming. I kept feeling like I was being sucked into the photos. The detail really pulled me in a lot of the time and I had to step back consciously to take in the overall composition. What a pair of exhibits to see on the same day, though. Sander's prints are all the size of your hand and consist of portraits of what he considered to be the core of German society from the turn of the century to about the early 50's. Little moments in time, unassumingly presented in groups according to what he believed were people of similar social function. Then one floor up there are these massive Gursky prints of crowds at rock concerts and stores full of brightly packaged candies and men on the floor of a stock exchange. The two guys would have a hard time being more thematically opposite. I need to shut up. I had a good time. ;-)

-Rob