[OM] Velbon Maxi 343E Tripod

Subject: [OM] Velbon Maxi 343E Tripod
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 11:52:30 -0000
------ Original message ------
>Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:44:35 +0100
>From: Bernard Frangoulis <bcf@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Backpack vs shoulder bag.

>Sounds interesting... However the Velbon 343 does not seem to be
>available here in France.

This tripod does seem to be available in the UK.  I have in front of me the
Winter 2002-2003 printed catalogue of the UK mail-order supplier Speed
Graphic (www.speedgraphic.co.uk).  This is the description:

Velbon Maxi 343E:
Designed to a brief from renowned US journalist Herbert Keppler, this is an
all-metal tripod weighing less than 2 pounds, and folding to under 20
inches, yet with a good working height.  By using a technique borrowed from
gun-barrel construction, each leg section can be made longer to achieve
this.  The ball head can be removed.  Specification: 4-section legs; length
extended: 158cm; length closed: 44cm; weight: 860gm.  Includes carrying
case.  Price: 64.95 UK pounds.

The Speed Graphic catalogue also describes the Velbon Maxi 347E, which has
the same legs as the 343, but has a three-way pan-and-tilt head with
quick-release plate, in place of the ball head.  Specification: length
extended: 161cm; length closed: 43cm; weight: 1050gm.  Includes carrying
case.  Price: 66.95 UK pounds.

I have dealt with Speed Graphic in the past, and have not had any problems.
I assume that they would be prepared to ship to France, but you would need
to check.  I don't know whether the price is what you were expecting (or
indeed whether you wanted to examine the tripod in a shop before deciding to
purchase it).

-- from Cy in the UK