Re: [OM] Looking for 50mm f2 Macro info!

Subject: Re: [OM] Looking for 50mm f2 Macro info!
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:10:19 -0500
I'm working a wide comparison of 50mm lenses (non scientific), which includes a
50/2, 50/3.5, 50/1.8 MIJ, and a 50/1.4, so in a few weeks perhaps I'll have
some photos for you.  It will also include a wide variety of Leica and
Voigtlander lenses.

Garry Reese has some performance data, and I think that photodo.com has some
too.  You should check out the big French magazine too.  The 50/2 is a big lens
for a 50mm if you haven't ever used one (especially vs. the svelte 50/1.8).  I
found it too big when I owned mine.  But the real reason that it got sold was
that I almost never used the 50mm focal length with an SLR, preferring a
rangefinder for that focal length.

As an aside, why would you consider an OM3ti in the "ultimate travel package"?
I would take an OM4Ti in a heartbeat before I'd spring for a 3ti due to the
excessive cost and the improved functionality offered by the AE of the 4ti (and
I put my money where my mouth is by having two 4ti's and an OM-1).  The only
thing that I'd do is to stuff the OM-1 in my suitcase as a backup.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost