[OM] Re: Kodak Tropical Cabinet

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodak Tropical Cabinet
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 19:34:27 -0800
>From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>In April of 1999 there was a short thread running on protecting lenses
>from fungus.  Doris Fang briefly described Kodak's design for a
>"Tropical Cabinet" which was a closed cabinet with ventilated shelving
>heated with incandescent light bulbs.  The idea was that the light bulbs
>raised the temperature in the cabinet above the ambient and thus reduced
>the relative humidity level.

I suspect such a thing may be VERY EXPENSIVE!

I made my own. Go to Ikea. Get a "Billi" bookcase. Get the glass doors and the
little halogen lights designed for it. Get the glass shelves "just to look
cool."

I put a thin strip of plastic weatherstripping on the door joint, and a thicker
bit across the top. It is hardly hermetic, but it help keep dust out, which to
me is more important than humidity.

I wired the lights into the room lights. Whenever the room lights are on, the
cabinet lights are on. It is only 40 watts, but it doesn't take much to make it
warm enough to drive excess humidity out.

>Chuck Norcutt
>Woburn, Massachusetts, USA

Chuck, is this for some other climate, or does it really get that humid in MA?

Here in Oregon's "rain belt," I have no trouble with fungus with such a setup.
I briefly considered removing the UV filters from the halogen lights, to
further discourage fungus, but haven't bothered.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Buy My Step Van! <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/van>