[OM] Re: Kodak Tropical Cabinet

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodak Tropical Cabinet
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:06:26 -0500
Jan Steinman said:

I made my own. Go to Ikea. Get a "Billi" bookcase. Get the glass doors and the little halogen lights designed for it. Get the glass shelves "just to look cool."
<snip>

Chuck, is this for some other climate, or does it really get that humid in MA?

<snip>
No Ikeas in Massachusetts but I can certainly look for something similar.

No, it's certainly not humind in Massachusetts relative to Oregon but two of my Kirons ended up with small patches of fungus last summer. This despite the fact that my house is air conditioned in summer and right now the two humidifiers are struggling to keep the relative humidity above 30 percent.

The Kirons were used lenses and I have no idea what conditions they were subjected to before I bought them but I had them in my posession for a few years before the fungus showed up.

I've never particularly worried about a lens coming down with fungus since I like to keep things where they're handy for use. However, now that I own a 24mm shift I can't imagine the hearbreak of that thing coming down with an infection.

Right now all of my equipment except what's in the bag for immediate use is stored in plastic storage boxes with dessicant. I'm sure they are safe from fungus in there but I'd like some fungus safe storage where I can see and access the equipment more easily.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA