Re: [OM] Velvia 100F - Any Thoughts?

Subject: Re: [OM] Velvia 100F - Any Thoughts?
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:57:54 +0000
It's interesting, because a guy in a camera shop I was in a while ago told me that Fuji was going to discontinue Sensia 100. He seemed to be convinced that slower films were dying, much as has been feared in various discussions on the list. However, if Velvia is coming out in 100 speed that would seem to be untrue. I look forward to trying it, but I certainly hope it holds more shadow detail than Velvia 50! I find Velvia currently just too contrasty for a cheapskate like me who doesn't like to bracket too much.

As this is pertinent to the recurring discussion about whether film will ever die out, I thought I would mention that even in the world of astronomy where detector efficiency is paramount and CCDs have long been king, film is not yet dead, and one recent sky survey which doubled the number of known planetary nebulae made use of Tech Pan, because of the much larger surface area available.

Roger

Jamie Costello wrote:

I had heard that Fuji was expanding its professional slide line to fill out the ASA 100 spot with new formulations of Sensia and Velvia (and a faster Provia, too). This link is to Fuji's website and is not terribly elucidating (like the rest of their site), but ... :

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/PRNewsDetail.jsp?DBID=NEWS_543027
Jamie

Fort Myers, FL