[OM] Re: Kodak Tropical Cabinet

Subject: [OM] Re: Kodak Tropical Cabinet
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 08:35:39 -0800

> >This type of cabinet is commonly used to dry food. I suggest you might
> >search for that and make a simple modification to the shelves for use
> >with your camera gear.
>
> I'd be wary of making things TOO dry, especially via heat. Remember,
> lubricants evaporate, too!
>
> The goal should be to control humidity, NOT eliminate it. I'd guess that if
> you can keep humidity within 40% to 60%, you'll be safe from fungus without
> drying up all the lubricants that you need for smooth operation. Plus, your
> skin will be silky smooth, too. :-)

I agree. A very low wattage bulb is all that is necessary, a normal
incandescent 10 watts max. Halogens get much too hot. Another danger is
too much air flow and associated dust. Don't want the cabinet to look
like the inside of your computer! I suppose you could get fancy and
filter the air inlet. The drying cabinets are designed for higher temps
and much higher air flows but could be easily modified by eliminating
the vents and replacing the bulb.

mike