[OM] West Palm Beach

Subject: [OM] West Palm Beach
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:01:16 EST
Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, near Jupiter, FL ... it's in Palm Beach County, at
least.

http://www.lrhs.org/JIL.htm

Don't know how close it is to W. Palm Beach, Boris, but it has a Fresnel
lens, if you're interested in them.  Those are amazing and beautiful to see
up close, when you see a rather ordinary light bulb inside and then see the
strength of the beam it throws through that old lens.  The French aren't too
popular with some Americans just now, but the fresnel lens is one example of
their excellent craftsmanship & technology of the day.  HANDMADE glass.  Very
cool.

I live directly across from one of the older lighthouses in WA state,
featured on many a calendar (with Mt. Rainier in the background).  Gotta get
over there with the OMs and take my OWN pics of it:

<A
HREF="http://www.naturesetude.com/lighthouses/robinson.html";>http://www.naturesetude.com/lighthouses/robinson.html</A>
  (sunset telephoto shot
-- note the Fresnel lens -- it's still working, although automated)

I have many happy memories of lighthouses, because the brother-in-law,
sister, and family was stationed at 3 of them when I was a bratty kid, and
later, when I was a Coastie myself.  I got to wind and time the old pendulum
clocks to the time tick from WWV, Ft. Collins, CO.  Turn on the foghorn and
radiobeacon.  Polish the Fresnel lens and brass, clean the windows, mow the
grass.  Catch 50 pound ling cod.  Walk the trails made by the keepers during
WWII.  Great adventure for a kid.  Made it easy to enlist (vs. the draft,
which missed me by ONE day -- whew!) during Viet Nam.

Rich