Re: [OM] Review of the C-5050 on a recent trip

Subject: Re: [OM] Review of the C-5050 on a recent trip
From: W Shumaker <omlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 10:45:45 -0500
I think unless you are willing to put down big bucks, prosumer digital
cameras are not going to improve that dramatically in the next several
years (but I hope they do). There are fundamental limits (like photons
and power consumption). How many new films have been introduced in the
last several years? Pretty soon maybe we can all buy our own small
minilab with digitizer for the price of todays film scanners?

The 5050 does add to your photo possibilities. It is just not the
end-all and be-all that people would like it to be. It allows me to
explore more ideas photographically. Part of the technical art of
photography is knowing what your tradeoffs are (am I starting to sound
like an engineer?).

I love this little 5050, but I hope to use it for what it is and not
try to make it be some kind of total solution. I think Olympus made the
best tradeoffs they could, so I think it fits into the tradition we
admire in the OM's. Hopefully the next iteration will be even better
and they don't try to cheapen things too much (like the 1.45x
teleconverter). I resisted getting into digital cameras until now, and
the deciding factor for me, strangely enough, was the PT-015 underwater
housing for the C-5050.

Wayne