Re: Re: [OM] Humidity and fungus growth on optics and film

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] Humidity and fungus growth on optics and film
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:20:56 -0500
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Thu, 27 Feb 2003 15:54:24 +1100

>> Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>I have stayed out of this discussion so far because about the
>>only subject more unwelcome to some than SUVs is guns, but
>>anyway, here's my two cents' worth.  I store most of my camera
>>gear in a couple of gun safes, along with those unmentionables
>>that make loud noises, and I have no problems with fungus
>>because each safe has a very inexpensive and effective device.
>>This is is it:
>>
>>http://www.agenglish.com/store/agora.cgi?product=1G8

>How does this work, it looks a bit like a fish tank heater.

The thing heats up.  Of course, so does a light bulb, but this
gives off a safer, more controlled heat, plus they are supposed to
last at least 10 years.  They also supposedly exude magic
molecules, or some such thing.  I forget exactly what, having long
ago discarded the packaging.  Anyway, they seem to work.  My
lenses grow no fungus and my unmentionables don't rust.

Then again, it may be a situation like the old farmer who every
year planted an acre of radishes but never harvested any.  When
asked why he did this, he said the radishes were necessary to keep
the wolverines away.  "But there ain't no wolverines around here,"
was the reply.

"Yeah, I know," he said.  See, them radishes really work."

Walt, who is not bothered by wolverines either.