[OM] Digital Competition[OT]

Subject: [OM] Digital Competition[OT]
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:06:23 -0800
I spoke too soon. The Kodak DCS Pro 14N is shipping this week to dealers according to dpreview.com. The suggested price is still less than $5000 which might start pushing prices down a little. They already have back orders for several months. So it may be some time before a street price is established. It will be interesting to see how it does against the Canon 11 megapixel camera.

It also interesting that there has been some thought given to making it a little less disposable by making it possible to upgrade functions through firmware upgrades.

This digital thing may completely reshuffle the deck in photography. Certainly camera makers with their own ability to create a sensor chip like Canon have a huge advantage. It may explain why Nikon has lagged behind depending on other makers' chips. Certainly Kodak has already said that the 14N design will not have a Nikon version. I wonder how Nikon feels about that with Kodak using their body parts and lens mount. Olympus may have been smart to ally itself with Kodak to provide a vehicle for its chips. I wonder whether it will be a CMOS design with similar concepts of firmware upgrades. That would be nice.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA