[OM] Re: Candle-Lit Photos

Subject: [OM] Re: Candle-Lit Photos
From: <cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:59:21 -0800
Greetings Sam,
  I've done some candle-lit photos a few times with
reasonable success (See TOPE 5) For that photo I used ASA
800 film at f1.4 at a shutter speed of 1/15. If you were
shooting in auto exposure mode and the candle flame is
within the frame, the meter will be fooled by the bright
point source of light and close too soon for the subject
to be properly lit. This does not seem to be your problem
since your post implies you were shooting manually.
  My exposure chart indicates that candle light is EV4
and suggests 1/15 to 1/30 with ASA 800 film at f1.4. Some
more information on the film, aperture, distance, etc
would be helpful.

Charlie Geilfuss