[OM] Flash Problem/Technical Question

Subject: [OM] Flash Problem/Technical Question
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 00:46:52 -0500
I just acquired an Interfit IR flash transmitter. It's basically a shoe mounted flash, but puts out only IR. Visible light output is near zero. Its purpose is to trigger slaves on monolights (optical slaves are highly sensitive to IR).

The Problem:
It works in the hot shoe on my Mamiya M645, in the Shoe 4 on my OM-1n, and cabled using a PC cord to the PC socket on my Contax IIIa CD. However, my OM-4 and OM-2S will *not* trigger it through the hot shoe or the PC sockets near the bottom of the lens mounts. Before mounting it on a camera, I measured its trigger voltage just to be certain it wasn't a high voltage trigger that could damage something. It measures 6.5 to 6.6 volts DC, "+" on the center contact and "-" on the ground.

I am puzzled why the OM-4 and OM-2S will not trigger it!

Questions:
(a) Is this voltage too much?
(b) Is it the wrong polarity?
(c) Is it the combination of (a) and (b)?
(d) Is there something else about its triggering circuit that might be incompatible with the electronic triggering provided by the OM-4 and OM-2S?
(e) Has anyone else encountered a phenomenon like this with a 3rd Party flash?

Any clues as to what's going on and why OM-4/OM-2S won't trigger it will be very much appreciated!

Thanks,
-- John