Re: [OM] 4/3 is real!!

Subject: Re: [OM] 4/3 is real!!
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 14:18:20 -0500
Promising, perhaps, but the Pentax is already here and will have a film
'sibling'.  I'm very interested and will keep watching the rollout of the
Pentax.  Might be my next solution.  Can someone point me to the Pentax
mailing list?

My problem is that I can't see investing in a system from a fringe player.
As much as I hate to say it, Olympus is not mainstream and never will be
again -- if they ever truly were.

On the other hand, the E-20 is an excellent camera.  I used it yesterday to
shoot my daughter's first soccer game of the season. I prefer the OM system,
but honestly don't have the money (film, processing, etc) or time (scanning,
etc) to spend right now -- so the E-20 is it.

Pros:

- Instant gratification. The images still need a little work, but mostly
cropping and a little USM. 5mp is plenty to crop from for a web image.
- No film and processing - no cost, no wait time
- Excellent results.

Cons:

- Shutter lag. Prefocusing helps a lot, but you still have to anticipate too
much
- Write lag. You can only shoot a limited number of shots before you have to
wait on the camera. BAD design.
- Zoom range. It just doesn't 'get out there' far enough. Much of the game
was on the other side of

I'm not sure I really even care that much about removeable lenses.  Give me
a 24-300 and I'll be happy :)

Tom

P.S. The shots are very 'snapshot-ty', but you can see them at
http://www.scalesfamily.com/Shelby/st030301/webpages-best/Index.htm