Re: [OM] 4/3 is real!!

Subject: Re: [OM] 4/3 is real!!
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 08:51:13 +0000
Good job I hate BMWs and Audis (well except the Sport Quattro short wheelbase!) then! I reckon Peugeot would be a good choice for Olympus if the 4/3 system is going to be that good. Peugeot have to their credit some of the best drivers cars and rally cars in history and their future is looking better than ever. I hope Olympus is going to be Peugeot. I may even make a bit of a move to digital if the 4/3 system is good. Then again.......

All the best,
Gareth.

Tom Scales wrote:

Afraid I'll have to still disagree.  Olympus is a leader in consumer
digicams.  Not pro equipment. Even the E-20 is upscale consumer, although I
love it.

The lack of compatability with a film body and the lack of support for
legacy lenses will, I think, doom it to obscurity.  Maybe I'm wrong. Only
time will tell.

I look at it this way.  Nikon and Canon are BMW and Audi.  Excellent
engineering, etc. etc.  Olympus is Saab.  Quirky and interesting, but not in
the same league for the long haul.

Feel free to fill in the car companies of your choice.  Peugeot probably
deserves a spot in the analogy.

My biggest fear is that Olympus is Daewoo.  GM bought the cars and the
dealerships, but walked away from the warranties.  Value of a used Daewoo is
close to zero.

Tom

From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Tom;

I agree with a lot of what you're saying.  But Olympus is not a fringe
player in the digital photo market.  Oly has been, at times, the market
leader. Course the Nikon and Canon top-o-the-lines, whatever they're
designated, are the ones to beat now.  But the E-20 remains one of the
best
values in the digi-photo market.  And this new 4/3 system may just put Oly
back in the driver's seat, especially if they are right about the
lens/sensor relationship providing superior results.  I wonder how much
that
600/2.8 will cost?

George

Gareth.J.Martin

Research Postgraduate
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
University Road
Bristol BS8 1SS

g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
attackwarningred@xxxxxxxxxxx
eclipsing.binary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

NE NLCOG - The amateur NLC observing group:
http://freespace.virgin.net/eclipsing.binary

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."

Arthur C. Clarke's Second Law.

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum."

Arthur C. Clarke