[OM] Kodak 4/3 sensor

Subject: [OM] Kodak 4/3 sensor
From: Chris Barrett <cpbarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 12:15:31 -0000
Dear Folks,

If anyone wants technical details fo the sensor then this is Kodak's page:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digital/ccd/products/fullframe/KAF-5101CE/specifications.jhtml?id=0.1.4.8.4.5.4&lc=en

I have to say it still looks awfully big to me.

It seems to me that reducing the sensor size should lead to a standard lens
focal length of about 22mm. This would be the sensor to rear nodal plane
distance. So the body depth should be less than this. It looks to me as if the
total body depth is much greater. So they've either put lots of electronics
behind the sensor, or they've gone for a longer sensor to flange distance
(possibly with a bigger mirror as well). This would then require a standard
lens/short telephoto to be a retrofocus design.

What would be nice to include in a camera of this type is a viewfinder screen
slightly larger than the sensor. Then we could see a little more than the final
picture, with a viewfinder image more like a range finder. A deeper, wider
mirror box with longer sensor to nodal plane distance would presumably allow
this.

Shame about the lens apertures. Again, the apertures suggest to me a longer
length, as this would tend to limit aperture sizes in the lens designs.

Chris