Re: [OM] Is it an OM adapter?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is it an OM adapter?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 07:40:08 -0800
On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

 There is a larger image with the thing-a-ma-jiggie here:
 <http://www.imaging-resource.com/NPICS1/OLYMPUS_ESYSTEM_GROUP_1_H.JPG>

 Still can't tell for sure what it is or if it has an optical element.

There seems to be a bit more detail in this photo.  From it you can see that
the little gold tabs at the 7 o'clock position are actually behind and below
the surface of the mount, and it appears there is a series of them.  The
diameter of the element also appears to be too small to accomodate the
size of the large rear element of the 50/1.2 lens.  Perhaps this is just
a teleconverter of some sort.  Why would an OM converter need electrical
contacts on the OM side of it?
                                -mark

Well, it is a bit hard to understand the marketing logic of issuing a 600mm equiv. lens and a teleconverter. Neither one is a big seller in the grand scheme of things. But an extension tube for the macro to give it a one to one ratio makes more sense to me.

I just looked at my 25 mm extension tube and set it down on the table with the lens mount up and it looked amazingly like the picture. The mounting ring is significantly larger than the thing on the other end that goes into the mount on the camera. An automatic extension ring on an autofocus camera might need contacts.

The one ray of hope for me is that the Olympus people did not answer the Belgian reporter's question as to whether the mount would fit an OM lens. I think almost every camera manufacturer, except Nikon and Pentax maybe, which has gone from manual to autofocus has increased the size of the lens mount. So an auto-everything digital camera for a 4/3 chip might conceivably need a lens mount the size of the manual OM mount.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California

Don't anthropomorphize computers. They hate that.