Re: [OM] Depth of Field being too deep on the 4/3

Subject: Re: [OM] Depth of Field being too deep on the 4/3
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 19:53:18 -0700
On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 07:09  PM, Thomas Bryhn wrote:
Normally we use the approximation f/# = f/D, more correct would be f/# = n1/(n2*2*sin(t)), where n1 and n2 are indexes of refraction and t is the angle spanned by the edge of the front element and the optical axis, seen from the point where the optical axis intersects the film. n1=n2 for our
applications with air on both sides of the lens.

Thanks Thomas, I'd heard of the f/0.5 limit a few times, but this is the first time I'd seen an explanation as to why. I've got a 50mm f/0.7 C-mount lens at work (Fujinon, I think), which is getting close!

Mark.