[OM] Candles:Exposure:processing

Subject: [OM] Candles:Exposure:processing
From: "Sam Shiell" <Sam.Shiell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:14:00 -0000
Hi all

Thanks for the comments/advice you gave me about my "candles" picture.

Yes the candle flames were in shot and this is obviously what confused the auto
exposure on the OM2n. I had done something similar a while ago with my wife but
in that one the candles were near enough to her face for the lighting to be
fairly uniform. In these latest shots that's not the case.

What I'm going to do (assuming my friend will agree to another go) is to waste
one shot on auto, but with the candle flames hidden behind something. I'll time
it to see how long the auto exposure takes, then switch to manual and use that
as a start point for bracketing (yes I know this is ENTIRELY unscientific but
that's about all my brain can handle!)

I also looked at the Black Cat ULC site (
http://www.blackcatphotoproducts.com/ulc.htmlalc ) which I thought is a
brilliant idea, once again although totally unscientific. I've printed out
their stuff and will also use this.

If these pictures come out any good I'll post them for your comments.

About the general processing/exposure problems..... Yes I guess slides would
eliminate the major unknowns. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that
they are so difficult to look at (but then, you only get printed the good
ones?.... probably a lot cheaper in the long run and would make my wife happier
as she continually complains how our bedroom is stuffed full of packs of
2nd/3rd/4th/+ rate prints that I really should throw away).

Cheers

Sam