Re: [OM] 4/3's lack of WA lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 4/3's lack of WA lens
From: Skip Williams <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 16:59:52 -0800
I firmly believe that Olympus is barely able to keep their head above water.
They won't be introducing anything earth-shattering anytime soon.  Look to
Cosina for the neat stuff, like their new 35mm f/1.2 lens!  Or the announced
N*kon F/F2 version of the 12mm f/5.6.

If/when the 4/3 system comes to market, the four lenses you saw in the PMA
shots are likely to be it for a while.  Face it, they cover 950f the typical
SLR photo needs of the typical buyers.  Most buyers don't use wide-angle
primes, they use wide-angle zooms.  In fact, I'm surprised that Olympus showed
such a long lens as the 600mm.  Most shooters find 600mm lenses far too long;
I'd have expected a 400.

F/1.0 or F/1.2 lenses ARE NOT cheap to make, and Olympus would be stupid to
sell them for a loss.  There just aren't enough people who are real buyers to
make most of those lenses viable.  Cosina's new 35/1.2 lens has three
aspherical surfaces and is likely to sell for $1,000 - $1,200.  And they are
one of the lowest cost manufacturers in the world.

Skip

Please reply to [skipwilliams at pobox.com]
Direct responses to the email address on the header may get lost