Re: [OM] 4/3's lack of WA lens

Subject: Re: [OM] 4/3's lack of WA lens
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 17:44:28 -0800

On Friday, March 7, 2003, at 04:59 PM, Skip Williams wrote:

I firmly believe that Olympus is barely able to keep their head above water. They won't be introducing anything earth-shattering anytime soon. Look to Cosina for the neat stuff, like their new 35mm f/1.2 lens! Or the announced N*kon F/F2 version of the 12mm f/5.6.

If/when the 4/3 system comes to market, the four lenses you saw in the PMA shots are likely to be it for a while. Face it, they cover 95%+ of the typical SLR photo needs of the typical buyers. Most buyers don't use wide-angle primes, they use wide-angle zooms. In fact, I'm surprised that Olympus showed such a long lens as the 600mm. Most shooters find 600mm lenses far too long; I'd have expected a 400.

F/1.0 or F/1.2 lenses ARE NOT cheap to make, and Olympus would be stupid to sell them for a loss. There just aren't enough people who are real buyers to make most of those lenses viable. Cosina's new 35/1.2 lens has three aspherical surfaces and is likely to sell for $1,000 - $1,200. And they are one of the lowest cost manufacturers in the world.

Skip

I am afraid you are right. Since Olympus was unable to enlist others in a standard lens mount/sensor format it looks like they will be going it alone. Their camera, two years after it was announced, is still not in production. It really appears to be doomed, unless there is a huge infusion of cash or the adoption of a Nikon lens mount, since it seems to be the most widely shared mount among different camera makers.

I have been hoping that someone real like Cosina would come up with true digital film, a 24 x 36 sensor back and maybe a winder sized add on for the batteries and the chip electronics. Set the ISO on the back and on the camera and shoot away. I would actually pay more for one than I would for one of those APS sized sensor, all-auto cameras.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA