Re: [OM] Oly parts

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly parts
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 21:24:53 -0800
on 3/7/03 7:40 PM, Clemente Colayco at litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Can you send us that spreadsheet? Rather, do you see spare lens elements for
> the models prone to hazing or lens separation such as:
>
> 65 - 200 F4
> 35 - 70 F3.6
>
> Or can you email to the list the lens models for which there are elements in
> the list so we can see what we are buying ?
>
> Why not the list organize a group to finance a bulk purchase of OM parts
> from dealers who may be glad to get rid of them?
>
> Regards
>
> Titoy

The spreadsheet lists all the parts, but they are formatted as below:

Part Number    Part Description    QTY    Net Cost
158-1          BODY L-158           12    0.73
158-10         DIAL RING L-158/188  10    0.44
158-12         TRIM PLATE           24    0.21
158-15         ASA DIAL L-158       10    0.11

There are about 4400 lines each is a part, but to find on part number on
this list you really have to know the Olympus part number... I just scrolled
through and spotted some descriptions that I recognized. I believe it likely
that Olympus used the same starting part numbers for all things OM-1 (for
instance) starting out "CA######" but I don't know that for sure. There
appear to be parts for all kinds of cameras, flashes, control grips, and
other things.

I think it is a good thing to have these parts preserved, but the auction
includes pictures that make me think it would take up a fair amount of room
to hold them, and there are probably a lot of parts for cameras we would
have -no- interest in fixing (although there are some XA4 bits listed, and I
still want to get one of those...) I wouldn't mind contributing a reasonable
amount to someone who can use these parts but even if everyone on this list
contributed $25 or $50 it might not be enough... And most 'small business'
don't have cash to tie up in a big batch of parts they only -might= be able
to get something back from later...

Still, I hope these parts don't just disappear, I've already been told
"Sorry, No Longer Available" for the two fisheye elements that it makes me
almost cry when I think about it.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...