Re: [OM] Filters Filters Filters!

Subject: Re: [OM] Filters Filters Filters!
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:33:40 -0800
One of the problems with that Tom is that here in Taiwan, I have seen quite a few lenses that don't have "fungus among us" as far as the front element is concerned due to a filter in the front.. So in this type of hostile environment, a front element filter is a must. I'm less worried about the damage, more worried about the moisture..
Albert

I really doubt the validity of this observation. I don't think that fungus migrates through the glass of the front element. It is sucked in with each close focus or zoom. (Internal focus lenses may be better in this regard.) If anything, the usual UV filter "lens protector" actually would make a better home for fungus. Fungus does not usually like UV. I suspect that what you are seeing is more of your acquaintances who are preserving their expensive lenses with filters are also the ones who do not use their equipment much and that it sits in their nice dry air conditioned environment.

Walt Wayman wrote:

... Any lens whose performance isn't
        degraded by having even the best filter on it isn't worth
        protecting.

A masterful summary of my feeling.
--
Winsor Crosby