Re: [OM] More Changes than the Film

Subject: Re: [OM] More Changes than the Film
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 17:15:31 -0800

Isn't it interesting that the members of this list have discussed the merits of one lens over the other for years. We tune into the web sites with tests. We put up old tests on our web sites and we support one of our number to test Oly lenses. Other sites argue the merits of Canon v. Nikon v. Leica v. Contax.

With digital that has all changed. Every one talks about megapixels and sensor size, and by God, no one cares very much what is on the front of the camera, with only a few exceptions. Even if digital is close to or surpasses film you would think there would be some concern about the glass. When did that go away? Or do I just not get it? :-)

Winsor Crosby

It's quite possible you don't get it, but then that's not surprising as you come from a primarily analog age.

This list asks about glass in relation to digital gear all the time, it seems to me. But it's true, there is very little discussion re lens quality and such on the web wherever I go. For that matter, there is precious small talk re how images are made in any manner, shape or form. These people with their brand-new digital gear seem quite happy to just march around manufacturing with a simple click one perfectly in-focus picture after the next and then to upload the lot as fast as their DSL pipelines will allow. Even when I quiz them directly about specific images (re the how of it) all I get back is dead silence. And it's fewer and fewer people you can find who bother to shoot much anymore with film emulsions, not that that crowd was ever all that interested in the intellectual end of it.

Frankly, all I get out of this is that the net's full of photographic wannabes who only use digital gear (could _only_ use digital gear as far as I can tell), haven't a clue about film-emulsion photography and couldn't care less.

I guess I don't get it, either. Then again, I'm one of those analog old-fogies so I guess it's no surprise all the way round? <g>

Tris